Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Introducing Sunya Ince-Johannsen!

Hello all Surfrider MOP blog followers! My name is Sunya Ince-Johannsen and I just accepted the Music Outreach Position in Portland, OR. I am so excited to get this great program going here in Portland!

I recently graduated from Southern Oregon University with a BS in Environmental Studies: Ecology and Conservation, so environmental protection and activism has always been an important part of my life. I have lived by the ocean in different places throughout my life, either in Oregon, Maui, or in Germany on the North Sea, where I learned to windsurf, and then later kiteboard and surf. Learning to windsurf has shaped my life in ways I never imagined it would, combining my love for the ocean with my love for outdoor recreation. As most windsurfers, kiteboarders, and surfers know, having fun in the ocean also comes with a responsibility to care for that resource, and leave it better than you found it. This is where the Surfrider Foundation comes in! Having recently moved to Portland, I am looking for ways to stay in touch with the things I love most: the ocean, outdoor recreation, music, and the wonderful community of people who gravitate toward these things.

I’m very excited to be involved with the Surfrider Foundation, after following the organization for years. I’m also looking forward to getting involved with the musical scene in Portland. My musical taste is more or less across the board, but some of my favorite bands include Xavier Rudd, Yeasayer, The Devil Makes Three, Groundation, Eddie Vedder, and most other good music!

Please feel free to email me at sunya @ oregonsurfrider.org if you would like to volunteer at an upcoming show in the Portland area. Thanks!

No comments: